Now that you have spent lots of time, money and most likely pain to get the tattoo of your dreams keeping it protected from the sun is the only way to keep it looking brand new. Not only can UV rays damage your skin and cause sunburn, but they can also drain the life out of tattoos and cause them to look dull. Color tattoos are especially sensitive to the sun’s rays. Anytime your tattoo is exposed to the sun the UV rays sun tans and burns the top layer of the skin making it harder to see through to the tattoo below. It’s like looking at your tattoo through tinted glass. Take these precautions to protect your tattoo and skin!
- During the first few weeks of healing keep your tattoo covered, but avoid using sunscreen.
- Once it’s healed–WEAR YOUR SUNSCREEN! Any broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 will do. Cover the entire tattoo and don’t forget to reapply.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your skin looking healthy.
- Moisturize your skin every day.
- When you aren’t showing off your tattoo–KEEP IT COVERED!
Follow these simple tips and you can be sure your tattoo will continue to stay bright and last for a long time.